Rate this article:  

Table of contents

Gard Guidance Masters INSURANCE COVER

In terms of insurance, a collision requires contact between two vessels. Under some insurance arrangements the liability for damage to the other vessels can fall

  • fully under the Hull and Machinery insurance cover
  • fully upon the P&I insurer
  • under the English ITC hulls rule – 25 per cent with the P&I insurer and the remainder with the Hull and Machinery insurer, in which case, the P&I insurer normally takes the lead in the investigation and any resulting proceedings.

    Please also refer to section 1.8 Difference between P&I insurance and Hull and Machinery insurance.